The Faculties of Humanities and Theology, Department of History

Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top universities. The University has around 47 000 students and more than 8 800 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.

Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.

The Centre for East and Southeast Asian Studies was founded in 1997 as a result of a government initiative. The Centre’s task is to develop expertise and understanding of contemporary societal, political and economic development in East and Southeast Asia. The Centre conducts education at the Master’s level as well as research. It features the largest library of its kind in the Nordic area and regularly organises visiting lectures, seminars and conferences.

The Centre for East and South-East Asian Studies are hiring one or two researchers, preferably with a focus on contemporary China, 50%, during the period 2021-08-16 to 2021-12-31.


The work consists of assisting in the preparation of a EU application with deadline 7 October, and then research and some administrative work. The assisting work includes among other things planning and collecting information from the different partners in the EU project and uploading it in the application system.  After submission of the application around 20% will consist of other administrative work, such as organizing seminars and planning smaller other events, and the rest of the time, 80%, can be devoted to research. 

The person employed is expected to work independently but should also be able to cooperate with others and keep deadlines.


The candidate should have been awarded a Ph.D. or an international degree deemed equivalent with a focus on East and South-East Asia, preferably contemporary China. Very good and documented knowledge of English is required. Experience from working on bigger applications and research projects are taken into account. The research should relate to the Centre’s prioritized research areas.

The application must include:

  • A signed complete CV and attested copy of the Ph.D. degree.
  • A list of publications (including DOI, ISBN or ISSN numbers).
  • A signed plan of no more than 1500 words (not including list of references) of the research project the candidate intends to pursue during the employment.

*with signature, name in block letters and telephone number of two people who have no conflicts of interest with the applicant and who can confirm that the copy corresponds with the original.

The research plan is to contain a description of:

  • Aim and research question.
  • Theory and method.
  • Relation to the international research front and the Centre’s prioritized research areas.
  • Schedule and expected results.
  • The applicant’s qualifications and competence to conduct the project.

NB! The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions above, that all documents are scanned (as a single PDF file) and that the file has reached the University through the e-recruitment portal no later than the application deadline.

Type of employment Special fixed-term employment
Employment expires 2021-12-31
Contract type Part-time
First day of employment 2021-08-16
Salary monthly salary
Number of positions 1
Full-time equivalent 50
City Lund
County Skåne län
Country Sweden
Reference number PA2021/2346
  • Henrik Rosengren, Head of Department,
  • Marina Svensson, Professor of Modern China Studies,
Union representative
  • SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-222 93 64
  • OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-222 93 62
Published 24.Jun.2021
Last application date 23.Jul.2021 11:59 PM CEST

Return to job vacancies